1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
red, yellow, and blue food coloring
Step By Step Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter with a hand mixer. The butter will turn light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and milk to the bowl. Stir until combined.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add these to the large bowl and mix together.
- Divide dough into three equal sections and place into separate bowls. Add 3 or 4 drops of food coloring to each bowl. Mix dough and food coloring. Cover the bowls with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Form 1-inch balls of dough. Roll each ball into a rope that is 5 or 6 inches long.
- Place three ropes (one of each color) on wax paper. Braid ropes together. Repeat with the remaining ropes.
- Place each braid on an ungreased baking sheet, about 3 inches apart. Top with sugar sprinkles.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Use an oven mitt or pot holder to remove baking sheet from oven. Let cookies cool completely.