Here’s What You’ll Need:
1 large T-shirt, or more for different colors
Step By Step Instructions:
- Lay the T-shirt flat on a table or cutting surface. Cut off the bottom hem. Cut off the top of the shirt just below the underarm seam.
- Fold the T-shirt in half so the folded edges meet. Use a ruler to measure 3 inches from one cut edge. Cut the fabric to make a 3-inch strip, making sure to cut through all layer.
- Unfold the strip. Cut off both side seams to make two strips. (If your T-shirt didn’t have side seams, cut both ends of the loop.) Gently pull on the ends of each strip to stretch and curl the fabric.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have 10 strips. Save the extra strip for another project. To add different colors to your braids, use T-shirts or scraps from other projects.
- Use masking tape to secure the ends to three strips to a table. Braid the strips tightly and secure both ends with masking tape. Repeat two more times.
- Hold all three braids together and tie a tight knot in one end. Tightly braid the three braids together and make another knot at the end. Remove the masking tape from the ends of the small braids.