Here’s What You’ll Need:
- clean, empty cereal box
- glue stick
- wrapping paper
- 2 pipe cleaners
- decorative printed paper
- hot glue
- decorative beads or jewels
For the Bag:
- Cut off and discard the top of the cereal box. Cut of as little or as much as you want to make the bag the size you need.
- Glue wrapping paper to the sides and bottom of the box.
- Lightly draw a 1x3-inch oval 1 inch below the top of one large side. Carefully cut out the oval. Repeat on the opposite side.
For the Butterfly:
- Cut one 2-inch piece from a pipe cleaner. Cut one 4-inch piece from another pipe cleaner. Twist one end of the short piece around the larger piece, so the tops of both pieces are even. The pieces should make a “Y” shape. Curl the top ends of the “Y” to look like antennae.
- Cut two 4-inch circles from printed paper.
- Fold one circle in half. Then fold one corner of the folded circle toward the middle of the curved edge to form a triangle.
- Cut a scalloped edge on the curved edge of the triangle.
- Open the paper back up to a circle. Cut the paper in half along the center line.
- On one half-circle pinch the paper together on the straight edge along the fold lines. As you’re pinching, push the top and bottom triangles up or down to make the whole thing look like a wing. Repeat with the other half-circle.
- Repeat steps 3-6 with the other circle to create a total of 4 wings.
- Hot glue the pinched point of each wing to the pipe cleaner.
- Hot glue beads along the butterfly’s body. Let dry.
- Hot glue the butterfly to the bag.
Here, Birdy, Birdy!